top of page
  • Writer's picturePurves-Smith Law

You’ve been served – now what?

Preparing for a divorce can be a stressful and confusing time for many. You may have been served with an Application for Divorce with you as the Respondent. If this has happened, it is important to note that your response is needed promptly. This is called the Answer and it must be served on your ex-partner within 30 days. If you ignore the Application, your ex-partner will potentially be able to obtain an order against you. A lawyer can help prepare, serve, and file an Answer for you. If you feel you do not have enough time to respond, your lawyer can also ask the Court for an extension on preparing materials.

It is important to read your ex-partner’s Application carefully. Your ex-partner may have made claims for the division of property or spousal support. If you have children, there may be claims for support, custody, and access. These issues all need to be addressed by you in your Answer.

The Answer is also an important document for you to address any issues you may have yourself, against the Applicant. If you include a claim for custody or access for a child, you must include an Affidavit in Support of Custody and/or Access. You will also need to provide a Financial Statement if financial issues have been raised.

If you reside in Guelph and have questions about filing an Answer, please contact Purves-Smith Law for a consultation.


bottom of page